Equity Not Diversity
919 S. 9th St., Tacoma, WA, 98405
Saturday March 23rd 2019 8:30 am – 12:30 pm
Equity Not Diversity: Engaging in and Leading Anti-Oppression Work in Education and Organizations
4-hour Saturday Seminar by Amber Kim, Ph.D.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. These are current buzz words in education and beyond but we must ask:
- When are Diversity initiatives harmful?
- Why is Inclusivity not enough?
- What does Equity work look, sound, and feel like?
In this four-hour seminar, grow your awareness and skills to shift your work from "Non" oppressive to "Anti" oppressive. You will:
- Explore identities and biases that deeply impact your work with colleagues and those we serve.
- Wrestle with present-day examples of racism, sexism, ableism, heterosexism, cis-sexism, etc. in education.
- Practice responding to and redressing these -isms in your context.
This half-day experience uses engaging videos, provocative readings, hands-on activities, and SRI protocols so that you will leave with:
- The ability to articulate the differences between diversity, inclusion, and equity work
- A vocabulary of anti-oppression
- An exploration of socio-cultural identities
- An in-depth examination of overt and hidden oppression in schools and orgs
- Tools and resources to threaten the existence of injustice in your spaces
- The desire and skills to engage in and lead anti-oppression work
This event has ended